Background and Membership
In 2011 the University of Melbourne established a new Alumni Council through Statute 3.1 - Alumni Council: The University of Melbourne.
The Alumni Council reports to the University Council and consists of 14 members who represent the many cultural, academic and professional attributes of your international alumni community. Six members are elected by alumni, two representatives of the University serve on the Council as non-voting members and the remaining members are recommended by the Vice-Chancellor and appointed by the University Council.
By drawing on the expertise of its members, the Council will:
- Support institutional excellence at the University
- Enable greater communication between the University and alumni
- Develop and implement outreach activities that support University of Melbourne students; and
- Encourage among alumni a culture of giving to the University
Congratulations and welcome
We would like to congratulate and welcome new member, Margaret Quixley to the Alumni Council. We would also like to congratulate Dr Joseph Doyle on his re-appointment to the Alumni Council, with thanks for his continuing service.
|Ms Margaret Quixley (MIR 2013)
I am a recent graduate of the University of Melbourne and founder of Young Opportunities Australia – a social enterprise that provides information, support and advice to students and graduates seeking personal and professional development opportunities.
I am passionate about empowering students and young people to realise their full potential, by connecting them to the opportunities, contacts, skills and support they need to find or create productive, fulfilling and engaging employment. I know firsthand the challenges that many students face in entering a highly competitive and global employment market, and seek to bridge the gap between university and employment by working in partnership to ensure young people are leaving university employment-ready.
As a member of the Council I look forward to developing and implementing outreach activities to better support University of Melbourne students. I represent the breadth of experiences of many contemporary students, having interned, volunteered, studied and lived overseas. I also have sound experience in not-for-profit governance, policy and advocacy settings, having worked in this sector for more than six years.
|Dr Joseph Doyle (MB BS(Hons) 2002, BA(Hons)2005)
I graduated in Medicine and Arts from the University of Melbourne. I am an infectious diseases physician and clinical researcher with interests in the epidemiology, prevention and management of blood-borne viruses - HIV and viral hepatitis. I also have expertise in public health and the intersection between medicine, global health and health policy. I am a fellow of Royal Australasian College of Physicians.
I am currently the Deputy President of the Alumni Council, having served on the Council since 2011. I am committed to ensuring the Council engages graduates' views on university governance, and that the University maintains a strong relationship with its alumni.
In addition, I have been a member of University Council, Board of the Faculty of Medicine, and the Committee of Convocation - the former alumni representative body.
Outside the University, my previous representative experience includes serving the council of the Australian Medical Association, Postgraduate Medical Council of Victoria, the Alfred Deakin Lecture Trust and participant in the Asialink Fellowship Program.
Current Membership of the Alumni Council
- Mr David Laidlaw (LLB 1975) Law
- Ms Niki Calastas (MA 2004) Arts
- Dr Joseph Doyle (MBBS 2002) Medicine Dentistry & Health Sciences
- Dr Sarah Ellis BSc(Hons) (1982), MSc (1987), PhD (2011) Science and Medicine Dentistry & Health Sciences
- Mr Daniel Fedson (BPD(Arch)(1997), BPC(2001), BArch(Hons)(2001), Dip Mod Lang(2001), MConstrLaw(2002)) Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning
- Dr Jennifer Henry (BAgr(Hons)(1990), PhD (2001)) Melbourne School of Land and Environment
- Professor David Hill, AO (BA 1964, MA 1975, PhD - Arts 1985) Arts and VCA & Music
- Mr Peter Kronborg (MBA (1976)) Melbourne Business School
- Dr Ros Otzen (BA(Hons) 1967, GDipEd 1969, PhD 1987) Arts and Education
- Ms Margaret Quixley (MIR 2013) Arts and VCA & Music
- Mr Michael Symons (LLB(Hons), BCom, DipArts(Hist) 2006, LLM 2011) Law and Education
- Ms Rachel K Teo (BCom 1991, PGDipEco 1992) Business and Economics
- Mr Simon Whatmore (MBA(2007)) Melbourne Business School
- Mr Nick Yan (MIntBus(2004)) Melbourne Business School
- Prof Simon Evans University of Melbourne staff member
Meetings and Activities
Monday 3 February
Saturday 8 February
Monday 7 April
Monday 2 June
Monday 4 August
Monday 6 October
Monday 1 December
Contacting the Council
Members of the Alumni Council can be contacted through the Alumni Relations Team on +61 3 8344 1751 or firstname.lastname@example.org