Call for 2014 Nominations
Nominations for positions on the University of Melbourne Alumni Council will soon be open, so be sure to get involved and have a lasting impact on how alumni influence, innovate and inspire the future of the university. For more information on the 2014 elections, how to nominate or to express your interest please contact the Alumni Relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Background and Membership
In 2011 the University of Melbourne established a new Alumni Council through Statute 3.1 - Alumni Council: The University of Melbourne.
The Alumni Council reports to the University Council and consists of 13 members who represent the many cultural, academic and professional attributes of your international alumni community. Six members are elected by alumni, two representatives of the University serve on the Council as non-voting members and the remaining members are recommended by the Vice-Chancellor and appointed by the University Council.
By drawing on the expertise of its members, the Council will:
- Support institutional excellence at the University
- Enable greater communication between the University and alumni
- Develop and implement outreach activities that support University of Melbourne students; and
- Encourage among alumni a culture of giving to the University
We would like to welcome Dr Sarah Ellis who has recently joined.
|Dr Sarah Ellis – BSc(Hons) (1982), MSc (1987), PhD (2011)
Dr Sarah Ellis is a cancer researcher at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Australia's largest comprehensive cancer hospital. She is a faculty member of the Cancer Immunology Program and is head of the Microscopy and Histology Core Facility, a world-class facility that underpins a multitude of cancer research projects. Her passion for understanding cancer has underpinned her career choices. As head of the Microscopy and Histology core facility, Dr Ellis enjoys pushing technology to its limits and designing new protocols to address questions pivotal to her research. Dr Ellis' focus is to discover therapeutic targets to combat cancer and/or improve longevity of patients suffering from cancer.
Current Membership of the Alumni Council
- Mr David Laidlaw (LLB 1975) Law
- Ms Niki Calastas (MA 2004) Arts
- Dr Joseph Doyle (MBBS 2002) Medicine Dentistry & Health Sciences
- Dr Sarah Ellis BSc(Hons) (1982), MSc (1987), PhD (2011) Science and Medicine Dentistry & Health Sciences
- Mr Daniel Fedson (BPD(Arch)(1997), BPC(2001), BArch(Hons)(2001), Dip Mod Lang(2001), MConstrLaw(2002)) Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning
- Dr Jennifer Henry (BAgr(Hons)(1990), PhD (2001)) Melbourne School of Land and Environment
- Professor David Hill, AO (BA 1964, MA 1975, PhD - Arts 1985) Arts and VCA & Music
- Mr Peter Kronborg (MBA (1976)) Melbourne Business School
- Dr Ros Otzen (BA(Hons) 1967, GDipEd 1969, PhD 1987) Arts and Education
- Mr Michael Symons (LLB(Hons), BCom, DipArts(Hist) 2006, LLM 2011) Law and Education
- Ms Rachel K Teo (BCom 1991, PGDipEco 1992) Business and Economics
- Mr Simon Whatmore (MBA(2007)) Melbourne Business School
- Prof Simon Evans University of Melbourne staff member
- Ms Leonie Boxtel University of Melbourne staff member
Meetings and Activities
Monday 3 February
Saturday 8 February
Monday 7 April
Monday 2 June
Monday 4 August
Monday 6 October
Monday 1 December
Contacting the Council
Members of the Alumni Council can be contacted through the Alumni Relations Team on +61 3 8344 1751 or email@example.com